Each year the Department of Health contracts with experts to review cases against medical professionals who may have failed to provide appropriate medical care such as isÂ expected of a medical practitioner in the State of Florida. Being an expert witness for the Department not only helps to improve the efficiency of the disciplinary process, but also allows you to play an active role in helping to regulate your profession.
- Have a current Florida license;
- Be actively practicing in Florida;
- Shall not have ever been the subject of any disciplinary action by the medical licensing authority of any state or jurisdiction, and is currently; and
- Shall remain in good standing with the respective healthcare profession for which his or her services are required.
The Department offers two types of expert witness contracts.
- If you wish to provide your services pro bono, Board rules provide an official recognition for time spent in the review of a case and written opinion by awarding Continuing Medical Education (CME) Credits of 5.0 hours per case, up to a maximum of 15 hours per biennial license renewal period towards risk management. For services other than case review and written opinion, such as deposition and trial services, you will be compensated at a modest rate of $160.00 per hour.
- If you wish to be a paid expert, you will be compensated at a modest rate of $125.00 per hour for time spent in the review of a case and written opinion and $160.00 for deposition and trial services. Your deposition testimony would typically be paid by the opposing counsel at your requested fee.
- Additionally, the Department reimburses travel expenses in accordance with the Department of Health 40-1 (Official Travel of Department of Health Employees and Non-Employees.)
If you are interested in becoming an expert witness for the Department and your board, please click on the link below to fill-out and submit your application:
If you are a physician licensed in another state but do not hold a Florida medical license, and you plan to provide expert witness testimony in Florida, you must register for an Expert Witness Certificate. For more information, click on Apply located on this page.