Patient Records FAQs

Patient Records

Expand allClose all

How do I request medical records from my physician?

In order to obtain your medical records, you should send a written request via certified mail to the last known address of the physician (you can find a physician’s last known address on their Practitioner Profile). If no response is received within a reasonable amount of time, you can file a complaint through the Consumer Services Unit.

What do I do if I find abandoned medical records?

If you find abandoned medical records, you should contact the Consumer Services Unit, and they will determine the best course of action.

What if a healthcare practitioner refuses to provide copies of patient records?

A  complaint may be filed with the Consumer Services Unit; however, a physician may not hold records if the patient has not paid for services rendered.

Can a healthcare practitioner charge for records?

Yes. Section 456.057, Florida Statutes, allows a health care practitioner to charge no more than the actual cost of copying, which may include reasonable staff time or an amount designated by rules provided by the regulatory board. The reasonable costs of reproducing copies of written or typed documents are outlined in Rule 64B8-10.003, FAC.

Can patients obtain their records from a healthcare practitioner?

Yes. Section 456.057, Florida Statutes, allows patients or their legal representative to receive copies of all reports and records relating to an examination or treatment by a healthcare practitioner. However, when psychiatric, psychological, or psychotherapeutic records are requested by the patient or the patient’s legal representative, the healthcare practitioner may provide a report of examination and treatment instead of copies of records.